Words can’t express how excited I was to receive my first Sephora Play Box! I actually hugged my box when I picked it up from the post office. I have been wanting to receive a second subscription but couldn’t choose between Birchbox and all the others out there, so I was determined to get on the Sephora list. I’ve literally been on the waiting list since January and was so happy when they opened up a couple of spots for me to finally subscribe! I am a Sephora addict so it’s only right that I receive their Play Box too!
Just a little back story on the Play Box: Sephora started their Play Box in September 2015. Every month, subscribers receive 5 curated samples from brands sold at Sephora and one perfume sample in a cute little bag – all for a monthly fee of $10! I mean, seriously, you cannot beat that price. It is such a great value considering the prices for the full size products are triple that!
In addition, you also receive beauty advice as well as tips and how-tos to get the most out of the products you receive. My Play Box account is linked to my Sephora account so it makes it extremely easy for me to purchase something I received in my box on the Sephora app. Honestly, this is the subscription to sign up for. Who better else to receive monthly samples from than the beauty experts themselves?!
Without further ado, let’s get into October’s goodies:
1. Smashbox Always On Liquid Lipstick in ‘Driver’s Seat’, $24: I already own a lipstick from this line and I am so in love with the formula. I had read a handful of comments on how “Smashbox was so late on the liquid lipstick trend”, but honestly, it was worth the wait because these lipsticks are amazing!! I love that this liquid lipstick is so pigmented and so long lasting. It is not drying and does not feel uncomfortable on the lips either. I also love the applicator and how it lines and fills so perfectly when applying. I have been wearing this shade almost everyday since I got it and want to purchase more colors from this line!
2. Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum, $90: I started using this sample during my evening routine before going to sleep. I wake up in the morning to clear skin that feels so smooth! I am liking the results of this product so far and actually ordered the Drunk Elephant AHA Kit during the VIB sale this weekend to try out the other products from this brand.
3. The Estee Edit Flash Photo Gloss, $20: I have read good reviews on The Estee Edit line and have been wanting to try products so I was happy to receive this lipgloss. According to the product description, this gloss has cool blue undertones that make teeth appear brighter. I tried this gloss and find it to be very lightweight and not sticky or super shiny. It doesn’t have a strong fragrance either. For shits and giggles, I took a picture on Snapchat (with flash) wearing this gloss and I have to say, my teeth did look like I just got them bleached! I don’t think this is something I would repurchase but I think The Estee Edit could take this idea further with how social media and technology are evolving.
4. Farmacy Skin Dew Hydrating Essence Mist Setting Spray, $44: I have not tried this product as a setting spray yet and don’t think I will as I already have my reliable setting sprays that I use after make-up application. I am also not one who likes a dewy look as I prefer a matte finish considering I have oily-combo skin. However, I think I might incorporate this into my morning or evening routine to keep my skin hydrated throughout the winter. I like the ingredients in this spray and I love the peppermint scent.
5. Madam C.J. Walker Beauty Culture Scent & Shine Coconut Oil, $14-$26: I recently heard of this brand and have been wanting to try some products to thank you Sephora for including this in my box! I loveee hair oils and this one smells so good! The purpose of this oil is to add shine, soften hair and fight frizz. It also aids in protecting hair against humidity and help maintain curl definition. I definitely can’t wait to use this the next time I leave my hair curly.
Fragrance Sample: Derek Lam 10 Crosby Street in Silent St., $95: I was excited to receive a Derek Lam fragrance this month as all the scents from this collection had great views on the Sephora site. However, I am not a fan of this scent. The first spray reminded me of a fragrance my sister’s grandmother would wear. I am into more floral scents so this is not something I would wear.
Thank you for reading this blog post! Don’t forget to subscribe and comment!
Follow me on social!